Thursday, June 18, 2015

Still Alice by Lisa Genova

Image via Goodreads
Title : Still Alice
Author: Lisa Genova
Release Date: February 26th, 2015
Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK
Source: Bought
Genre: Adult fiction, Contemporary, Illness
Purchase link: Book Depository

Blurb:


Alice Howland is proud of the life she worked so hard to build. At fifty, she's a cognitive psychology professor at Harvard and a renowned expert in linguistics, with a successful husband and three grown children. When she begins to grow forgetful and disoriented, she dismisses it for as long as she can until a tragic diagnosis changes her life - and her relationship with her family and the world around her - for ever.

Unable to care for herself, Alice struggles to find meaning and purpose as her concept of self gradually slips away. But Alice is a remarkable woman, and her family learn more about her and each other in their quest to hold on to the Alice they know. Her memory hanging by a frayed thread, she is living in the moment, living for each day. But she is still Alice.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Once in a blue moon, I would come across a book that affects me emotionally- one that leaves me staring into the space, pondering over the plot and my feels for a few minutes after closing the book. Still Alice is that kind of book for me. I know it's too soon to tell but I bet my emotions over this book will probably stay with me for weeks. This is not much of a book review. But I just want to pen down my feels on this book.

Still Alice is about Alice Howland, a Harvard Psychology professor, who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. It was heartbreaking to watch Alice struggle to remember simple things, like her children's names. The thought of how a person's cognitive abilities deteriorates as Alzheimer's disease slowly takes over is terrifying.

When the subject of Alzheimer's disease came to mind, I've always thought of how hard living with an AD patient is for the caregivers. Never have I given any thought on how this disease affects the lives of the patients and how difficult it is for them. This book has shed some light for me on Alzheimer's disease. It has also given me some insight on the disease from the patient's point of view.

I thought of what I would wish I'd done with my life if I have AD. I asked myself that same question again but imagine myself as old and healthy. I gave different answers to the same question. The regrets I might have in life don't matter. What matters is the time we have now. Still Alice showed me that.

The core to this story, for me, is love. The love and support from family and friends make our lives meaningful and worthwhile. Even if we don't remember about it one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment