Saturday, April 25, 2015

Arts and Crafts

Arts has never been my forte. My Arts teacher in primary school made the mistake of entering me in an inter-class drawing competition (as a last minute substitute for my classmate who couldn't make it to the competition). We were asked to draw the hibiscus and I guess you could guess what happened. I still have a vivid memory of my drawing (as 11-year-old me felt really humiliated by it). My drawing of two droopy-looking hibiscus sticking out of a bare tree branch placed last. The worst part of it all is that all the drawings are put up on display in the teachers' lounge, for everyone to see. I think my Arts teacher was quite appalled by my drawing and that was the last time she ever asked me to participate in any arts-related competition.

When I was told that I had been delegated to make a group birthday card for a friend of mine, I was worried. What if the card looks hideous? What if they all hated it? Didn't they know I almost failed arts in school???

After that, I did a lot of online research and had decided that making a pop-up card is probably my safest bet. I mean, I don't need to draw or paint anything as long as I could find a template for the design I want. Thank you, Internet!






I have to say, I'm quite pleased with the carriage pop-up card. It's not perfect but it looks better than my hibiscus drawing, that's for sure. I then decided, on my friend's suggestion, to decorate the envelopes too. Again, thank you Internet for all the wonderful ideas.



I even tried my hand at Zentangle and am quite delighted by how it turned out. I mean, I don't understand what exactly it is that I drew but at least it looks... nice, I guess.

Zentangle!








No comments:

Post a Comment