Friday, February 27, 2015

The Jewel by Amy Ewing

Image via Goodreads

Title: The Jewel (The Lone City #1)
Author: Amy Ewing
Release Date: September 2nd, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: Bought
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Purchase link: Book Depository

Blurb:

"Today is my last day as Violet Lasting. Tomorrow I become Lot 197."

The Jewel is a shocking and compelling new YA series from debut author, Amy Ewing.

Sold for six million diamantes, Violet is now Surrogate of the House of the Lake in the centre of the Lone City, the Jewel. Her sole purpose is to produce a healthy heir for the Duchess – a woman Violet fears and despises.

Violet is trapped in a living death, her name and body no longer her own. She fights to hold on to her own identity and sanity, uncertain of the fate of her friends, isolated and at the mercy of the Duchess.

The Handmaid's Tale meets The Other Boleyn Girl in a world where beauty and brutality collide.
 

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It's certainly different, considering that I've never read any YA books on surrogacy before. Overall, it was interesting and entertaining.

Violet Lasting is born a Surrogate. That means that she has some special gene that allows her body to carry a child for the Royalty and fix the defect genes of the child. You see, children carried by women of the Royalty always ended up with defects. Their solution? Sterilize the women and implant their embryos into the Surrogate.

Being a surrogate in the Lone City isn't all that it seems. Surrogates are sold off at an annual auction and are treated like pets by the women who bought them. They can't pick out what they wear. They can't leave the house they were bought into unless it is to accompany their mistresses to an event. They can't even tell people their names. They live a seemingly glamorous life but are without freedom. 

For the first half of the book, we see how Violet is faring as the Surrogate of the House of Lake and find out what the Duchess has in plan for Violet once she is pregnant. The second half of the book, however, focuses on the romance between Violet and Ash.

Ash is the companion *coughs* boy toy employed by the Duchess for her niece. Usually, I find the romance the most enjoyable part of my read. But this time, I just..... I just don't care about Violet's relationship with Ash. So, we all know that Ash is good-looking and... I guess that's it. I just find him boring. I really do hope there will be a more interesting love interest for Violet in the sequel.

The Jewel ended in a major cliffhanger. There are a couple of plot twists in the end. After the first one, I thought there were no more and whaddaya know, another plot twist is thrown in my face, but that did leave a hopeful note as to how I wish this story would progress. So, yeah, I had fun reading this.




No comments:

Post a Comment