Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Any Duchess Will Do by Tessa Dare

Image via Goodreads

Title     : Any Duchess Will Do
Author  : Tessa Dare
Release Date: May 28th, 2013
Publisher: Avon
Source: Borrowed
Genre: Adult, Historical Romance
Purchase link: Book Depository

Blurb:
What’s a duke to do, when the girl who’s perfectly wrong becomes the woman he can’t live without?

Griffin York, the Duke of Halford, has no desire to wed this season--or any season--but his diabolical mother abducts him to “Spinster Cove” and insists he select a bride from the ladies in residence. Griff decides to teach her a lesson that will end the marriage debate forever. He chooses the serving girl.

Overworked and struggling, Pauline Simms doesn’t dream about dukes. All she wants is to hang up her barmaid apron and open a bookshop. That dream becomes a possibility when an arrogant, sinfully attractive duke offers her a small fortune for a week’s employment. Her duties are simple: submit to his mother’s “duchess training"...and fail miserably.

But in London, Pauline isn’t a miserable failure. She’s a brave, quick-witted, beguiling failure--a woman who ignites Griff’s desire and soothes the darkness in his soul. Keeping Pauline by his side won’t be easy. Even if Society could accept a serving girl duchess--can a roguish duke convince a serving girl to trust him with her heart?

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I've been in a reading slump for days and lemme tell you, it sucks. I was once again on Goodreads, scrolling through my long list of TBR books, trying to decide which book to read next when Tessa Dare’s Any Duchess Will Do caught my eye. For some reason, historical romance novels could always bring me out of a reading slump.

I flew through this book within a day. It made me smile, laugh and left me with a feeling of contentment.

Griff, the Duke of Halford, was kidnapped by his mother, the dowager Duchess, to Spindle Cove. She insisted him on picking out a bride from the ladies there. So, Griff chose Pauline, the barmaid, thinking that she would most probably fail in duchess training provided by the dowager Duchess herself.

Perhaps the dowager Duchess was not the most agreeable person in the beginning of the story but I found myself liking this character. She wants grandchildren so much that she would even drug and kidnap Griff to make sure of it. Is it twisted of me to like her for that?
“More to the point, I am fifty-eight. I need grandchildren before my decline. It’s not right for two generations of the family to be drooling at the same time.”
Pauline had always been the rock in her family. She took care of her sister, Daniella, when she couldn't fend for herself. She had great dreams and she did what she need to realize that dream for a better future for her and Daniella.

I love Griff and Pauline. I can't really convey my feels properly. I just love that Griff cares for Pauline. Even when she was merely a stranger and a barmaid no less, he wouldn't wish to see her mistreated and had a natural instinct to protect her.

Did the romance progress way too fast? Was it predictable? Perhaps. Okay, yes. But I don't really care. A predictable love story is what works for me when it comes to historical romance and I could never seem to get enough of it.






No comments:

Post a Comment