Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler


Image via Goodreads
Title: Bittersweet
Author: Sarah Ockler
Release Date: December 4th, 2012
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Source: Borrowed
Genre: YA, contemporary romance
Purchase link: Book Depository

Blurb:

From the author of Twenty Boy Summer, a teen pushes the limits to follow her dreams—and learns there’s a fine line between bitter and sweet....

Once upon a time, Hudson knew exactly what her future looked like. Then a betrayal changed her life and knocked her dreams to the ground. Now she’s a girl who doesn’t believe in second chances, a girl who stays under the radar by baking cupcakes at her mom’s diner and obsessing over what might have been.
     So when things start looking up and she has another shot at her dreams, Hudson is equal parts hopeful and terrified. Of course, this is also the moment a cute, sweet guy walks into her life—and starts serving up some seriously mixed signals. She’s got a lot on her plate, and for a girl who’s been burned before, risking it all is easier said than done.
     It’s time for Hudson to ask herself what she really wants, and how much she’s willing to sacrifice to get it. Because in a place where opportunities are fleeting, she knows this chance may very well be her last....
 



My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book took me down memory lane- back to the days I spent watching Disney's Go Figure and was crushing hard on Jake Abel (the lead male actor in the movie). I was totally fascinated with the sport and the music and Jake.


I've never read any books in which its main character figure skates before. I guess that's probably the only reason why I thought of Go Figure during my read. Well, that and how hockey played into the story.


Hudson Avery walked out of the world of figure skating years ago but remained passionate about the sport. When an opportunity presents itself, giving her a second chance to get back into the game, she felt that that could be her golden ticket out of her town and to get back what she had lost. However, she would need to decide between baking cupcakes at her mother's diner or skating professionally.

It's a story about family, friendship, love and how a girl finds her passion and discovers what she wants in life. I enjoyed every minute of my read. It was a fun ride.

Can I just say that I LOVED Sarah Ockler's writing. Throughout my read, I felt as if Hudson is speaking directly to me, like a friend would over some cupcakes and tea. Just that she's the one with all the cupcakes she'd baked and I... well, I didn't have any cupcakes with me while reading Bittersweet. So, I had to settle for some waffles which isn't even close to the cupcakes described in the book.

I smiled. I laughed. I got mad.... at Hudson's parents, who sucks at being parents and Hudson had to take up the responsibility of caring for her little brother most of the time. Where's her Mom? She's working at the diner. What about her Dad? He's off somewhere spending time with his latest lover- Shelvis, female impersonator of Elvis Presley.

Anyway, let's talk a little about Josh. I loved the relationship between Josh and Hudson. If I have any complaint about the book, it would be not getting enough of Josh and Hudson in the last third of the book. But still, I really do enjoy the ending. 





No comments:

Post a Comment