Monday, October 6, 2014

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell


Image via Goodreads
Title: Attachments 
Author: Rainbow Rowell

Release Date: February 2nd, 2012
Publisher: Orion            
Source: Bought
Genre: Adult Contemporary
Purchase Link: Book Depository

Blurb:

It's 1999 and the internet is still a novelty. At a newspaper office, two colleagues, Beth and Jennifer, e-mail back and forth, discussing their lives in hilarious details, from love troubles to family dramas. And Lincoln, a shy IT guy responsible for monitoring e-mails, spends his hours reading every exchange.

At first their e-mails offer a welcome diversion, but the more he reads, the more he finds himself falling for one of them. By the time Lincoln realises just how head-over-heels he is, it's too late to introduce himself.

After a series of close encounters, Lincoln eventually decides he must follow his heart... and find out if there is such a thing as love before first sight.



My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Attachments is not my favourite Rainbow Rowell novel but it was still an enjoyable read. Compared to Eleanor & Park and Fangirl, this book didn't do much for me. I mean, sure the premise of the story is really interesting. However, I got kinda bored with the slow progress of the plot development. 

I don't know if it's just me, but when I first started this book, I'd pictured Lincoln as this geeky  guy with a small frame. When Beth wrote in her email to Jennifer that Lincoln is actually this big, muscular guy, Lincoln suddenly turned into Kellan Lutz in my mind. 

[Spoilers Ahead]

I kept waiting for Lincoln to finally meet Beth and actually strike up a conversation with her. That only happened towards the VERY end of the book. Anyway, true to Rainbow Rowell's style, Attachments oozes sweetness. However, there aren't many aww-worthy moments for me. 

I find Lincoln a somewhat relatable character (not as relatable as I find Cath from Fangirl)- throughout the story, he's figuring out who he is and what he actually wants in life. When he actually started making changes in his life, I find myself cheering for him as I do want to see him succeed and be happy. 

The story ended a little abruptly for me. In fact, I actually thought my copy of Attachments was missing a couple pages. I need more pages, more evidence to convince me that Beth is in love with Lincoln.

No comments:

Post a Comment