Tuesday, October 14, 2014

52 Reasons to Hate My Father by Jessica Brody


Image via Goodreads
Title: 52 Reasons to Hate My Father
Author: Jessica Brody

Release Date: July 3rd, 2012
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Source: Borrowed
Genre: YA
Purchase Link: Book Depository

Blurb:

Being America's favorite heiress is a dirty job…but someone's gotta do it.

Lexington Larrabee has never had to work a day in her life. After all, she's the heiress to the multi-billion-dollar Larrabee Media empire. And heiresses are not supposed to workBut then again, they're not supposed to crash brand-new Mercedes convertibles into convenience stores on Sunset Boulevard either.

Which is why, on Lexi's eighteenth birthday, her ever-absent, tycoon father decides to take a more proactive approach to her wayward life. Every week for the next year, she will have to take on a different low-wage job if she ever wants to receive her beloved trust fund. But if there's anything worse than working as a maid, a dishwasher, and a fast-food restaurant employee, it's dealing with Luke, the arrogant, albeit moderately attractive, college intern her father has assigned to keep tabs on her.

In Jessica Brody's hilarious "comedy of heiress" about family, forgiveness, good intentions, and best of all, second chances, Lexi learns that love can be unconditional, money can be immaterial, and regardless of age, everyone needs a little saving. And although she might have fifty-two reasons to hate her father, she only needs one reason to love him.



My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

52 Reasons to Hate My Father was a fun read. But did it blow my mind away? No. I just felt that it could've been better.

Have you ever watched book trailers before? Well, lemme just say that the reason I picked up this book is because I thoroughly enjoyed watching its book trailer. I felt as if I'm watching a movie trailer instead of a book trailer. If you don't mind some spoilers, you can go check out that book trailer here.

Since I knew who Lexi's love interest was before I even started reading the book, thanks to the book trailer, (and I'm gonna spoiler you now) I was expecting Lexi and Luke to slowly form a special chemistry from the very beginning. I'm kinda disappointed actually. In my opinion, they don't really have any chemistry at all. Their first kiss left a lot to be desired since Lexi only kissed him because she was, what- drunk or just trying to distract herself from her ex-bf?

I found myself hoping that Lexi would develop feelings for Rolando- her colleague from one of the 52 jobs she had to take up over the course of a year. I like Rolando's character more than Luke's. Of course, that did not happen.

Lexi's relationship with her dad was strained. He was always working and was never home. Her dad frustrates me at times. I mean, c'mon dude! Can't you even talk to your daughter yourself instead of having someone else deliver your message for you?? Having said that, I don't buy the excuse for his behaviour- that he isolated himself from his family because of his wife's death? I just felt that he could've tried harder to be there for his kids. 

Also, I felt that Lexi's relationship with her brothers and her best friends could have been explored further.

Anyway, I still enjoy the story which was at times funny. My favourite part of it all would be reading about what happened in her jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment