Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The Ruby Red Trilogy by Kerstin Gier

88353791340220217620267
Image via Goodreads


First of all, let us all take a moment to admire the GORGEOUS book covers of this trilogy! I actually got all three books on my iPad since I couldn't find any hardcover copies in my local book stores. The paperback copies have different book covers that aren't exactly pretty. Anyway, I'm still searching though. I need to have them on my bookshelf!

The Ruby Red trilogy by Kerstin Gier is probably my favourite trilogy (so far) that I've read this year. I had heaps of fun and really enjoyed the story. Ever since I've finished reading this trilogy, I have recommended it to some of my Goodreads friends and anyone else who would listen to me talk about my love for this series.

In Ruby Red, we get to see how Gwyneth discovered that instead of her cousin Charlotte, she is the one to get her family's time travel genes. Yes, it's about time travel. And yes, it was actually fun to read. If you have not read this book yet, that's all I'm gonna say. Just know that I love all the books in this trilogy and I don't wish to spoiler you lest I ruin your reading pleasure. There are unexpected plot twists which just made my reading experience all the more enjoyable. I would keep making theories throughout my read. And when I found out about how exactly an event took place, I was blown away as I did not predict that that was how it happened.

Okay, one of the things that I love about this trilogy is that some of the events occurring in all 3 books are interrelated. There was no lull and the plot develops at the right pace.

I love the characters in this trilogy. Each and every character plays a part, no matter how small, to make the story more interesting. Gwyneth is such a fun character to read about and I could totally imagine her as a real life person. Gideon, on the other hand, was a little frustrating to read about in Sapphire Blue despite him being crush-worthy. At that time, I was left wondering what had happened to him and what caused him to have a change of heart towards Gwen. That was explained in Emerald Green and now Gideon's back on my ever-growing list of book boyfriends. Also, I really like the fact that Leslie-Gwen's best friend, still plays a part in her life. Usually, in other YA books, the BFF would be ignored and the love interest would be made the focal point of the main character's life. I really appreciate that this was not the case with the Ruby Red trilogy.

When I first started reading Emerald Green, I had no idea how Kerstin Gier would end this trilogy. Thus, the ending was really unexpected for me but it was still fun at the same time. All in all, I really enjoyed the entire trilogy. I think this is actually the first time that I gave all three books in a trilogy a 5 star rating. My only complaint about this trilogy would be the fact that it's too short! I really enjoyed it and was not ready for it to end just yet.

Another thing about this trilogy is that it is actually translated from German to English. Had I not known about that, I wouldn't have guessed it otherwise throughout my read. In my opinion, the translation is done superbly and did not affect my reading pleasure.


No comments:

Post a Comment