Thursday, September 18, 2014

Every Day by David Levithan


Image via Goodreads
Title: Every Day
Author: David Levithan

Release Date: August 28th, 2012
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Source: Bought
Genre: YA

Blurb:

I wake up.

Immediately, I have to figure out who I am. It's not just the body - opening my eyes and discovering whether the skin on my arm is light or dark, whether my hair is long or short, whether I'm fat or thin, boy or girl, scarred or smooth. The body is the easiest thing to adjust to, if you're used to waking up in a new one each morning. It's the life, the context of the body, that can be hard to grasp.

Every day I am someone else. I am myself - I know I am myself - but I am also someone else.

It has always been like this.



My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Every Day is told from the perspective of "A" who wakes up in a different body, every day. Knowing that he would be gone tomorrow and that it would be quite impossible to have any lasting relationship, he is always cautious not to get too attached with anyone involved in the life of the person whose body he is inhabiting for the day. That is, until he met Rhiannon and fell in love. 

I find the premise of the story really intriguing. I was curious as to how David Levithan could make this concept work and how it would play out. I am impressed, actually, at how well the whole plot is executed.

I really feel for A. The thought of waking up with a new body and a new identity every day scares me. I pity A for not having a place to call home, for not having a family he could call his own and for not being able to hold onto lasting relationships in life. However, despite all that, A managed to push through the odds in his life, which is quite admirable.

The fact that A is actually genderless and could inhabit any body that is around his age makes the story more interesting. I get to see glimpses of the lives of people from different backgrounds and know a little about their stories.  

I find the way how A went out of his way to try to reach out to Rhiannon whilst inhabiting a stranger's body so sweet. However, it saddens me to think that he has to fight for every opportunity  he has each day to be able to see her. 

The ending is sad but beautiful. Someone once told me that love is about making sacrifices. Having said that, I kinda understand that maybe this is how the story should end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment