Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Image via Goodreads
Title: Don't Look Back
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release Date: April 15th, 2014
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Source: Borrowed
Genre: YA, Mystery, Thriller, Romance

Blurb:

Samantha is a stranger in her own life. Until the night she disappeared with her best friend, Cassie, everyone said Sam had it all-popularity, wealth, and a dream boyfriend. 

Sam has resurfaced, but she has no recollection of who she was or what happened to her that night. As she tries to piece together her life from before, she realizes it's one she no longer wants any part of. The old Sam took "mean girl" to a whole new level, and it's clear she and Cassie were more like best enemies. Sam is pretty sure that losing her memories is like winning the lottery. She's getting a second chance at being a better daughter, sister, and friend, and she's falling hard for Carson Ortiz, a boy who has always looked out for her-even if the old Sam treated him like trash.

But Cassie is still missing, and the facts about what happened to her that night isn't just buried deep inside of Sam's memory-someone else knows, someone who wants to make sure Sam stays quiet. All Sam wants is the truth, and if she can unlock her clouded memories of that fateful night, she can finally move on. But what if not remembering is the only thing keeping Sam alive?



My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Don't Look Back is probably my favourite Jennifer L. Armentrout book so far. It is unlike anything I've ever read that is written by JLA.

The suspense-filled plot got me on the edge of my seat and making theories about what went on the night Samantha and Cassie went missing as I read. Multiple times, I could feel my palpitations as I find out more about what went on and make more guesses as to who would actually want the two girls dead. 

I am hooked on the story from the very first page. Don't Look Back is written from Samantha's POV. After surviving the incident, she suffers from amnesia. Thus, as Samantha slowly gets pieces of her memories back, I am also taken on this journey of rediscovering who Samantha is and what really happened.

One of my favourite scenes in the book is when Samantha went to the scene of the crime-the summerhouse- alone in hopes of getting her memories regarding that night back. I was practically hyperventilating when I read that Samantha heard someone following her. The event that followed when she got into her car and finding that note in her backseat of which she thought was written by the supposed killer is an awesome twist. So awesome that I couldn't put that book down even though it's nearing dawn and I haven't slept yet.

The relationship which Samantha shares with her then childhood friend, Carson is also fun to read. I really liked how their relationship slowly develops into something more.

Finally, I am satisfied with how Jennifer L. Armentrout ended this book. I find Don't Look Back highly entertaining and I enjoyed every minute of my read.

No comments:

Post a Comment