Sunday, June 15, 2014

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han


Image via Goodreads
Title: To All the Boys I've Loved Before
Author: Jenny Han

Release Date: April 15th, 2014
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Source: Bought
Genre: YA, Contemporary Romance

Blurb:

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.


My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I really enjoy reading this book. In fact, after I read it, I found myself grinning as I thought about some of the scenes in the story. This book just makes me happy.

To All the Boys I've Loved Before is about a girl named Lara Jean and how her life got out of control when all her love letters were mailed by someone (accidentally on purpose). The love letters, which were meant for her own eyes only, were addressed to all the five boys she has loved in the past. They include her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh.

In the beginning, I thought that the story would be highly predictable, that is I thought that Lara Jean would eventually end up with Josh since she has got a crush on him for the longest time (though it would be weird with Josh being the ex-boyfriend of her sister). As the story progresses, I realised that it's not as predictable as I thought it would be. Peter Kavinsky- one of the boys who received the love letter- and Lara Jean decided to be in a fake relationship for their own personal reasons- Peter to get his ex-girlfriend jealous and Lara Jean to get things between her and Josh back to normal. I knew that they would fall for each other for real. I mean, I don't believe in platonic relationships, especially when you are fake dating the other person!

At first, I didn't like Peter Kavinsky's character as I thought that he was arrogant (which he kinda was); but then, he turned out to really sweet. I love the relationship he shares with Lara Jean in the story. There were some laugh-out-loud moments for me as I read through the scenes involving Peter and Lara Jean. Throughout the story, I kept wondering who Lara Jean would end up with- Josh or Peter.

I am dissatisfied with the ending as there is no definite conclusion. How can the story end with a "Dear Peter..."??? But then I found out there will be a sequel to this book which is scheduled to be published in... 2015.

Now, I just have to wait for a year to see how Lara Jean's love life progresses.



No comments:

Post a Comment