Monday, June 23, 2014

The One by Kiera Cass


Image via Goodreads
Title: The One (The Selection #3)
Author: 
Kiera Cass
Release Date: May 6th, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: Bought
Genre: YA, Romance

Blurb:

The time has come for one winner to be crowned.

When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown--or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the end of the competition approaches, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose--and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.



My rating: 4 of 5 stars


The One by Kiera Cass is the third and last instalment in The Selection series.
I smiled, I laughed, I gasped aloud (at one point). Overall, it was a fun read for me.

I started this book hoping that the main character- America Singer would end up with her first love-Aspen Leger. Like America, I found myself going back and forth with who I wish she would end up with - Prince Maxon or Aspen. But after how things went down in Book 2- The Elite, I was rooting for Aspen. I was.

However, Maxon just won me over in The One. The little gestures of his love and affection for America are just so sweet. They obviously care about each other so much but both Maxon and America are just insecure. Due to their insecurities over love, neither of them are willing to let the other know just how much they love each other. Sure, they use actions to express their love but that just wasn't enough for them. The middle section of the novel focuses more on that aspect.

I've heard from other readers that they find America Singer's character really frustrating. The reason being that she is so indecisive about the choices that she makes. I personally am not bothered by that. That's probably because I'm just as indecisive as America is when it comes to making decisions. However, there are a few times when I feel like shaking America myself. Just tell Maxon you love him already!!

Other than the romance, readers get to see how all the finalists of The Selection come together and become closer than ever. Even Celeste, who was the mean diva in previous books of the series, became friends with America. I seriously will miss Celeste. (I won't give out too much spoiler here.)

I  wish that we get to read more on all the action that went down in the final rebel attack at the castle. Readers get to read about the rebel attack, that is until America was taken to a safe room. When she was locked in that room, I just thought- Wait, does this mean I won't know what's going on with the rebel attack?  Although I wish I get to read more on that, I am satisfied with how the story turns out. I guess it's just that Kiera Cass got me hooked on the action of the rebel attack and I wanted more.

I enjoy this final instalment to The Selection Series. It's been a fun ride. I just can't believe The Selection series is over. I'm not ready to let go just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment