Saturday, June 7, 2014

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey


Image via Goodreads
Title: The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave #1)
Author: Rick Yancey
Release Date: May 7th, 2013         
Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
Source: Bought
Genre: YA, Dystopia

Blurb:

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it's the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth's last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie's only hope for rescuing her brother-or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.



My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I find the first hundred pages of the book boring and confusing (the exception to this is the prologue. The prologue is really interesting). I found myself rereading previous paragraphs, trying to make sense of the story. With that said, I feel that the story is not organised well. When I reached the 100 mark, I seriously felt that picking up this book was a mistake.

Thankfully, the story starts to pick up pace and I started to get where the story is going after that. Before I even realised it, I am sucked right into the story. The 5th Wave includes multiple point of views but the one that I enjoy reading the most is that of the Silencer (though there's only one segment of the novel told from his point of view).

I've read several books on alien invasion before this book. Comparing those books and Rick Yancey's The 5th Wave, I have to say that The 5th Wave would have to be the most action-packed regardless of the confusing and somewhat boring part in the beginning of the story.

One of the things I like about this book is the suspense of the story. I would make theories as I read, but then few pages after that I would change my theories. The suspense make it more fun for me as a reader.

When Cassie met Evan Walker (Finally!), I theorised that Evan is the Silencer, that Evan might not be Evan and that he might just be another alien infested in a human body. But then, I would doubt it and thought that maybe he's not; he's just a human like Cassie. I have to say, I enjoy reading the middle section of the story (that's when their lives crossed) the MOST! I love the interaction between Evan and Cassie. Evan is just so sweet.

This book involves some military stuff which does not interest me much (mostly found in the POV of Ben Parish- Cassie's crush who doesn't even know she existed). What interests me is the relationship Ben shares with 5-year-old Sammy (Cassie's little brother). Ben took Sammy under his wing and cared for him when Sammy didn't have Cassie by his side.

When I finished the entire book, only one thought came to mind- Evan Walker, you better be alive!

Yes, I have developed a crush on yet another fictional character.

So, will I read the second book in this trilogy? Yes, I think I will.

Even with a weak start to the story, Rick Yancey did not disappoint.



No comments:

Post a Comment