Friday, May 16, 2014

Wings by Danielle Steel


Image via Goodreads
Title: Wings
Author: Danielle Steel
Release Date: April 1st, 1996
Publisher: Corgi            
Source: Bought
Genre: Adult, Chick-lit, Romance

Blurb:

From small-town America to a world on the cusp of World War II, Wings is an uplifting story about one woman’s fight to fulfil her dreams.
From her family’s dusty farmland airstrip near Chicago, Cassie O’Malley would look at the planes shimmering in the moonlight and feel the pull of taking to the skies. Her First World War veteran father Pat wanted his son to be a pilot, not his reckless red-haired daughter. But her father’s partner Nick, fellow air ace, was willing to break all the rules and teach her to fly.
When Cassie is invited to California to become a test pilot, her record-breaking flights make her a media darling. Risking her life, in a world preparing for the Second World War, she decides to chart her own course and pursue her own destiny, whatever it might cost her . . .




My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book had been sitting on my bookshelf for months now and I just didn't feel like reading it until a few days ago. So why buy it then? Well, I saw it at a book sale and it costs only RM 8 (that's 77% off the original price!) and I thought to myself- why not? Even if it isn't the typical novel I would go for on an average day.

I managed to finish Wings by Danielle Steel in 2 sitting and wondered why I put off reading this book for so long. Oh right! I thought I would be bored stiff with a storyline that involves airplanes and machines.

The story took place in the 20's-50's era, focusing on the main character-Cassie O'Malley and her journey of becoming a successful female pilot of her time. Cassie wanted to become a pilot just like her father. However, Pat (Cassie's father) forbade her to do so as he felt that women will not fly as well as men. Pat's partner- Nick Galvin offered to give her lessons behind Pat's back so that they could change Pat's mind.

In the beginning of the story, Danielle Steel depicted the status of women and what is generally expected of them in the 20's / 30's through Cassie's 3 older sisters. They got married at around 19 and had a lot of children even in their early twenties. I can't remember how many times my mouth fell open when one of her sisters got pregnant, again. I lost count of how many nieces and nephews Cassie actually had by the end of the story.

The story did not include as many terms on machinery as I thought it would originally. I feel that Cassie's journey to become a pilot started and ended in the first half of the novel, i.e up to the point when she signed a contract with a company to test fly aircrafts.

After that, the story is more about her love life even though readers still get to read about her career as a public figure/ test pilot.

What I like most about this entire story is the romance between Cassie and Nick Galvin. Even though Nick is 18 years her senior and had basically been in her life since the day she was born, I enjoyed reading through the moments that they share.

Towards the end of the book, the story kinda lost connection with me. I think I would've like the story more if some scenes were cut.

Even though I enjoyed reading Wings, it isn't one of my favourites.

I would recommend this book to those who really enjoy a love story.




No comments:

Post a Comment