Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Friends

Just when I thought the friendship that I share with one of my besties, S is no longer the same, she surprised me yesterday with a phone call. I was surprised as knowing her, she would not be the one to make the call when she's away from home (she's trying to reduce her phone expenses). When I thought the distance that had separated us physically would leave a gap between us, chatting with her made me realize our friendship still prevails.

        When I picked up my phone, I expected awkward silence in between our conversation. It left me a good feeling as our conversations flow with ease. It really made my day, knowing that I could count on her as a friend.

        Once, a friend remarked that sometimes she sensed that I am afraid of losing a friend. When she told me that, I remembered denying that statement in haste. Now that I think about it, maybe I am. I disliked the feeling of losing someone. Then again, who doesn't ?

        This year, with most of my friends flying off to study elsewhere and some went on to continue their Form 6 education, I feel that our friendships are at risk. That if both parties do not put in some effort, the friendship that we share will inevitably change. Deep in my heart, I know that even if I still keep in contact with my mates, we might no longer share the common interests or topics that have once drawn us closer as friends.

        Nevertheless, I consider it a blessing to have these people in my life, even if it's just for a short while, to help me through the phases in life and to be the ones whom I share happy and even bittersweet memories with.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment