Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Hover by Melissa West


Image via Goodreads
Title: Hover (The Taking #2)
Author: Melissa West

Release Date: August 13th, 2013
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Source: Bought
Genre: YA, Romance, Sci-fi

Blurb:

On Earth, seventeen-year-old Ari Alexander was taught to never peek, but if she hopes to survive life on her new planet, Loge, her eyes must never shut. Because Zeus will do anything to save the Ancients from their dying planet, and he has a plan. 

Thousands of humans crossed over to Loge after a poisonous neurotoxin released into Earth's atmosphere, nearly killing them. They sought refuge in hopes of finding a new life, but what they became were slaves, built to wage war against their home planet. That is, unless Ari and Jackson can stop them. But on Loge, nothing is as it seems...and no one can be trusted.



My rating: 4 of 5 stars


"Oh no! Oh no, oh no..." Those were the words I kept muttering under my breath as I reached the end of Hover(Book 2 of The Taking Series by Melissa West). The ending of Hover left me in a state of shock. I had more questions left unanswered than before I started reading it. What happened to Lawrence? What's going on in Sydia? Will the Ancients and half-Ancients be alright? Where is Jackson??

       I really enjoy reading Hover; however, I love Gravity (Book 1 of The Taking Series) MORE.
I'm not sure if it's just me but I felt that for the first half of Hover, the story progresses rather slowly and lacks action, mostly dealing with the struggle Ari faces in finding herself and also adapting to life on Loge. I also got a glimpse of Jackson as Jackson Castello. In Gravity, I got the impression that Jackson is very collected and in control even when a curve ball is thrown in his way. In Hover, Jackson Castello has had a hard time dealing with life around his grandfather, Zeus and has hit his breaking point. To tell the truth, I like Jackson Locke better than Jackson Castello. I guess, to me, Jackson Locke seems so perfect that it was hard for me to let go of that image created in my mind to accept Jackson as Jackson Castello, who, like everyone else, like Ari, is scared and lost. But I'm slowly getting there...

       I felt that the real action of the story starts in the second half of the book. That is also the part when Ari slowly accepts Jackson as he is and opens up to him.

       Before reading Hover, I'd envisioned Zeus as a kind soul, one who yearns for peace to prevail and also one who would possibly use Ari as a mediator between the 2 species-Ancients and humans, to put an end to the war. However, Melissa West took a completely different turn. Now, Zeus is the bad guy who might be crazy.

       I cannot wait for the final book of The Taking Series- Collide to hit the markets. I am curious to know how Melissa West will end this series.


To read my review on Gravity, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment