Thursday, June 6, 2013

Saying Goodbye to The Wolves of Mercy Falls

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1)Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2)Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #3)
Image via Goodreads

I have finally finished reading The Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy, written by Maggie Stiefvater. :)

   When I first picked up Book 1-Shiver, I'm totally psyched that the main character and I share the same name. After reading 'Shiver', I have fallen in love with Sam Roth, Grace Brisbane's love interest in the story. It is a beautifully-written love story, a love story that seemed impossible to work out at first glance- a human falling for a werewolf that had saved her from her death years ago and finally meeting each other and falling in love. Without a doubt, among the 3 books in The Wolves of Mercy Falls, 'Shiver' is my favourite.

   Truth be told, I actually bought this whole set of books because its price is cheap. That's why I bought it. 3 books for the price of one. :) And I'm glad I did. When I realised that there are werewolves involved, I worried that this trilogy would be Twilight Saga-esque. Thankfully, it's not. It is better than Twilight. No offense here, just a personal opinion of mine.

  While 'Shiver' is written from Sam and Grace's perspectives simultaneously, 'Linger' includes the perspectives of Isabel Culpeper and Cole St. Clair. Isabel was one of the few people who knew about the werewolves. Cole is a singer who became one of the new members of the werewolves out of his own will. In  'Linger', it was Grace who slowly became a werewolf ( having once been bitten at a young age but had never shifted to become a werewolf) and Sam remained in his human form after he was 'cured'.

  In this trilogy, the werewolves only remain humans when the temperature is warm and as wolves when temperature's low. The biggest difference between the werewolves in this trilogy and of that in Twilight is that the werewolves in this trilogy can't think human thoughts and can't speak human in their wolf form.

  Once I started on 'Forever', I found myself drawn towards the relationship between Isabel and Cole. These two characters are obviously so into each other but their personalities seem to be holding them back a little. Cole has since then replaced Sam in my heart. Sam is such a sweetheart but in 'Forever', he was so frustrated with the whole Grace-is-a-werewolf-and-a-wolf hunt-is-on-the-way situation. I have to say that this has indirectly affected my moods and emotions for a couple of days. I found myself feeling down and frustrated over lots of petty things. Needless to say, 'Forever' is my least favourite in this trilogy though I am really pleased with the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment